In today’s world full of anxiety, depression, and competition music is the tool that provides all of us an escape from our daily stressful life. According to PLATO “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” And one can’t disagree with it. When it comes to music, there are a lot of instruments that come to one’s mind. However, to me, the Violin is the most fascinating and soothing of all!
This instrument is widely played across the world. It is considered to provide emotional wellbeing, better posture, and a sense of belonging to its players and listeners. It leaves a positive and sound impact on the mind. Even kids love the violin!
Although a violin offers such many benefits. It rather difficult to play and it takes years of practice, dedication, sweat, and blood to reach the level of mastery.
One of the most important things one needs to take care of while playing the violin is how to tune it. This article is the right place if you’re looking for violin tuning. Before we begin, here is a short table to help you visualize the products we would be talking about in the following article.
What’s The Need For Tuning a Violin?
The simplest meaning of tuning can be described as adjusting the string to their respected pitches.
The question that comes to mind is why is it important to tune a violin isn’t it already done?
Well, the answer to that is pretty simple most of the violins are tuned to a standard pitch. When the violin was invented in the 1500s it was tuned to A415 hertz, now the basic standard is A440 hertz, but many orchestras tune to a higher pitch like A448. Violins are also tuned to alternative tunings for various folk music. The quality of the material of the strings, sometimes weather conditions also play a vital role in affecting the pitch. Some strings stretch properly and some do not, strings also get thinner with time. Cheap quality is less appealing.
How To Tune Your Violin?
There are a lot of ways to tune your violin which includes using a tuning fork, fine tuners, electronic tuning devices, mobile applications, tuning with a piano, and using pitch pipe.
Difference between electronic tuning and conventional tuning
When it comes to the conventional tuning of the violin it is done by adjusting the strings on the pegboard, tightening or loosening them, until you can hear to the beautiful pitch you wanted.
Tip: When tuning the violin, you should always tune from below the note, and move towards up. This prevents string breakages and systematizes the process of tuning. In the case of violins, it is in your best interest if you start by tuning the A string first, then move towards the D, G, and finally towards the E strings.
Now let’s talk about electronic tuners, the cool high tech for violinists. An electronic tuner is very easy to use the device all you have to do is to turn the tuner on, pluck in the strings, there’s a gauge that keeps telling you about your pitch. Keep adjusting your strings (starting with the G string) using the fine tuners until the needle on the gauge comes to the center (in some devices it shows a green light) and here you go, you’ve your violin tuned!
Best Reviewed Violin Tuners In The Market
1. Snark SN5X
Snark SN5X tops the list for its various benefits and variety of features that it offers at a very reasonable price. Although we are reviewing for violins, this tuner can be used for several other stringed instruments as well as the guitar.
The device has gained quite a reputation by satisfying its customers. It has a 4-star rating from thousands of people and is the most bought tuner on amazon. It comes with multiple tuning modes, calibration function and it is also energy efficient as it turns itself off after a time period of inactivity.
Features of Tuner On Guitar:
- Clip-on: It is very handy and easy to place as well as flexible as it can rotate in 360 degrees.
- One of its prominent features is its high speed, simplicity, and accuracy.
- Multiple tuning modes.
- Full colored LCD display with good backlight makes it suitable for low light situations.
- Long-lasting battery time.
- Calibration function.
- Has a tap-tempo metronome.
This tuner is perfect for beginners as well as professionals. It is a perfect choice as you get quality at such a good price. However, one thing to mind is that due to its small size, it can be prone to damages.
- Full Color Display
- Features frequency range tailored to guitar and bass
- Tuner can be used on front of back of headstock,Rotates 360°
2. Korg CA1 Chromatic Tuner
Korg has designed a very easy to use and high functionality tuner. It offers great accuracy. The main feature of it is that it has a speaker. This allows users to listen to the input sound. Users can avail of a wide variety of functions at a reasonable price. The only disadvantage about it is its low quality of visual output. It has a simple LED screen with needle references which can make it a little difficult to read in low light. It can be used for noisy environments.
Features of Korg CA1:
- Single tuning mode i.e compact chromatic tuning. Suitable for violinists.
- Reasonable price
- Good battery time
- Detects a great range of pitches.
- High precision needle referencing on the LED display.
- Built-in Calibration function.
This tuner can be the best fit for violinists performing orchestra as it has a calibration function that can work perfectly for high pitches. The only con for this type of tuner can be its display quality as compared to the other tuners.
For placing an order you can click on this link below:
- Compact Chromatic Tuner, ideal for brass band or orchestra
- Wide range of pitch detection covers C1-C8
- High-precision LCD needle-type meter for stable tuning
- Sound Out produces a reference tone from the internal speaker
- Calibration Function supports a variety of concert pitches
3. Rinastore Clip-On Tuner
This Rinastore tuner is quite underrated. If we look at the great features it offers and at such a low price then we will understand what a masterpiece it is. A Money-back guarantee is another plus point. It is not very much popular on amazon but it has a 4.5/5 rating. The main feature it has is it has five distinct tuning modes. It is also equipped with a silicon base of the clamp in order to protect your instrument. Its main features include:
- Long-lasting battery time.
- High sensitivity and accuracy.
- Clip-on placement with 360 degrees rotation.
- It is environmentally friendly.
- One year guarantee.
- 3 colored LCD display.
Though it is not equipped with a built-in microphone and speaker and its small size can make it vulnerable to damages. In short, this tuner can be the perfect choice for music teachers and beginners. It can be used in a noisy environment as well.
For placing an order you can click on this link below:
- 【All-Instrument Tuning】Five Tuning Modes : Chromatic, Guitar, Bass, Ukulele, Violin. The Chromatic mode is also perfect tuning on Mandolin, Banjo and Nearly Any Acoustic or Electric Stringed Instrument. It's suitable for music teachers, professional and beginning players.
- 【Fast & Accurate】 The advanced Micro Processor and highly sensitive Piezo Sensor will ensure your instrument is accurately tuned in a flash. This tuner can be used in a noisy environment.
- 【Easy To Use & Carry】Turn it on, clip it on, and you're ready to tune. One-Handed 360° swivel clamp and the large LED Screen provide you a more clear view experience from any angle. Mini design, only 1.2 inches wide, with its small size is easy to carry it in your instrument case or bag to anywhere.
- 【High Quality】Made of environment-friendly ABS plastic, sturdy clamp with soft silicone rubber to protect your instrument. Scientific design with solid construction ensure no break in long time use.rom light use by the music hobbyist to heavy abuse by the touring road warrior, the A7 Tuner will get you in tune every time.
- 【1-YEAR GUARANTEE】Package Included: 1 x Tuner, 2 x CR2032 Battery, 1 x Operation Instructions. In the unlikely event the tuner breaks or stops working, please don't hesitate to contact us, we'll replace it or give you 100% of your money back.
Considering all the content above in the article and understanding numerous reasons why violin tuning is of great significance one can easily understand that in this era where technology has taken over it is easier to look for electronic violin tuners for tuning your violin to standard tune instead of going for conventional means. But it is totally up to you for what means and device of tuning you want to opt for.
I hope you find this article helpful to buy the best violin tuner. Keep playing, keep practicing. Happy playing and happy Tuning!
If you are interested in getting an electric violin, then we have a whole article dedicated to the Best Electric Violins available in the market right now.